Monday, September 15, 2008

Raw Foodist?

So a friend of mine is now a raw foodist. I think that is what thay call it anyway. Its really a form of veganism where you only eat raw or living food. Under the "raw rules" (my term) that I found on a website, it also includes foods cooked at 115 degrees or lower. This temperature heats the food without changing the chemical composition.

She keeps sharing her lunch with me eager for me to try her meals. WOW, I can't tell you how good some of this stuff is! I can't even believe its all uncooked. So far I've had banana bread, lemon squares, pizza, nut balls, dried peaches, fudge, and best of all chocolate pie. She's told me about lasagna, but I haven't tried it. The great thing about it, she tells me, is that you can eat as much as you want. Its healthy foods in its natural state and its so good for you. Can you believe that she pigged out on banana bread and pizza and lost 7 lbs at the same time? I'll tell ya... I think they are on to something!

7 comments:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

I am also surprised at all the raw food options. Raw doesn't just mean salad. I am sipping on a raw chocolate (carob to be exact) milk right now... made from carob powder, almond milk, agave, cinammon, salt& !

Trish Chibas said...

Wow! That sounds really interesting. When I hear raw foods I just think of salads and raw, crunchy veggies.

Lauren said...

Very cool! I find that there are times when my body craves raw, fresh foods.

fitncrafty said...

I just listened to a lecture this past weekend, and picked up a book on Raw Food,the book is marvelous, The New Raw Food Revolution. Brenda Davis one of the authors, was fabulous and I believe that she is about 80% raw. I have a link on my blog to her website. I agree, very interesting for sure.

Jen said...

Wow this is very cool where does she find all her recipes? Does she have a book? This is a very curious concept!
p.s. Miss you guys! Let's all try to plan a fun day at the beach or pool or picnic or something one of these weekends so EVERYONE can hang out!

Mr. Pete said...

hah, you said nut balls.

Ann Marie said...

Jen, you can find tons of recipes online. The choc pie is my fav. Its made with avocado, carob powder and coconut oil! Thats it. You put it in a chopped nut and agave crust and chill. I haven't tried making anything cool yet. I've just enjoyed tasting, but I would like to try to incorporate some in our regular diet especially since the little dude is starting to eat now.