Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Always Learning

As I close in on my one year mark as being a parent (coming up in March!) to a healthy little (by little I really mean very big) baby boy, I have been reflecting on what I've learned this year. I've decided to write a few things down.

Sleep is a luxury. I didn't figure this one out until several months into parenthood. I was lucky those early months. Now is a different story... a way different story. I'll save that for another post.

Toys and clothes are not important. I would have imagined in my pre-parenthood mind that buying all the latest toys and the cutest clothes would be high on my list. Boy was I wrong. Babies hardly care about toys. Tonight Mason spent 30 minutes climbing on top of a diaper box while wearing hand-me down pajamas. I've come to realize FREE clothes and unintentional toys are the best kind.

Children require a LOT of parenting to be well behaved. I'm pretty sure that I had imagined my child being extremely well behaved naturally. I mean, c'mon, I spend 40 hours a week working on behavior problems in other people's children. I never really considered the fact that I'd have to remain 2 cm in proximity from my child while he plays with other babies to ensure that he does not pull someone's hair or throw toys at them. I also didn't think I'd ever have little tiny teeth imprints on my arm from my child. Go figure

Recently a friend told me that parenthood is a crazy, wonderful experience. I think she is very right. This kid keeps me on my toes!

2 comments:

Trish Chibas said...

Love this post! You're such a wonderful Mommy and Mason is a little hunk! Great job!

Lauren said...

I can't believe that Mason's going to be one next month! Time has flown...

You're totally right about the toys and clothes. (and everything else) I've found some super good deals on toys and clothes at the consignment shop.