Monday, October 6, 2008

EWWWWW! Sweet Potatoes!

For now, Youtube.com and I are at odds. So there is no video of Mason trying out solid foods for the first time. Its hilarious and heartbreaking to watch and I thought it would be able to speak for itself, but it looks like good old fashion writing will have to do this time.
We were very excited for his first meal. There was a lot of anticipation and preparation (home made sweet potatoes). Pete and I were very excited since he has been so interested in food lately. So we sat down like we do for meals with Little Dude in his high chair. I took a bite of the baby food, Pete took a bite of the baby food. We talked about how good it tasted. Then his turn. A teeny tiny tip of the baby spoon bite of sweet potatoes for Mason. He mouths it, looks at me, then looks at Pete. "YUM-EE!" I say. Picture this... bottom lip pops out and tears. One out of each eye. What a heart breaker. He swallows it, but he doesn't like it. Awww... we feel horrible but we aren't giving up yet. Pete eats several more bites all the while singing and talking about how good it tastes. One more try for the babes. Nope, does not like the sweet potatoes. He eats it, but its obvious he is not enjoying it one little bit. Fine. Eating time is over for that day. We plan to try the next day.
Day #2 and Mason takes bites of food with a reaction that I can only describe as the same reaction someone has when they do a shot of whiskey. His chin fell to his chest and his shoulders shivered as he swallowed. Yikes!

So now its been a few weeks and I have continued to make food for him and offer him bites during dinner time on week days and every time we eat on weekends. As soon as he shows signs of non interest I put it away. He eats a bite or two sometimes more everyday. I'm not going to worry about it or let others make me worry about it. He will continue to eat more and more as time goes by. He's obviously getting plenty of nutrients. He weighed 22lbs and 13 oz at his 6 mo well baby visit! Big boy!

Eating now is fun (it stressed me out those first few days). So far I've made and he's eaten sweet potatoes, banana, avocado, pears, nectarines. He likes the pear the best so far. He's also had baby oatmeal cereal that I only bought because my mother made me feel like the reason he didn't like the food was because he needed to eat cereal first. It just made him constipated. He'll probably eat more of that too eventually since I have it. Next will be carrots and green beans. I've had fun making his food. I've looked forward to going to the Farmer's Market to pick up his next new food to prepare. This is just the beginning and I know before long this little dude will be eating us out of house and home!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Cute post! Ruby loves nectarines, too! Before long he'll be a pro!!!

Christy said...

How sweet, I bet the video was memorable! :) Alex is loving the yobaby yogart these days. Danielle posted awhile ago about making/storing food for Nati, was a good post.